- 💬 Browser permissions pop-up
- I. Desktop
- II. Mobile devices
- A. Android
- B. iOS
- 👀 Sessions pop-up window (audio-video defaults)
- Note for Safari users:
- 💻 Pre-join Screen
- ⚙️ Settings modal
- 📲 Device preferences
- 📝 General settings
When a participant enters a session for the first time, they have to grant audio and video permissions*. More specifically, they have to allow Sessions to use their microphone and camera in order to be seen and heard by the other people present in the session.
*If they have audio and video equipment. If they don’t, they will be able you hear and see others during the session, but without a video feed or being able to speak.
💬 Browser permissions pop-up
Your browser will ask for permissions to access your audio/video input devices through a pop-up window when entering a session for the first time. The pop-up allows you three actions: Allow, Block, and Dismiss (X).
- When you click “Allow” on this pop-up, it enables your mic and camera to behave as expected in an online video conference. The other participants will now see and hear you.
- When you click “Block,” another pop-up appears. This informs you that because your camera and mic are blocked, you will not be able to communicate with the others. In this instance, you have two options:
- Request again. You will see instructions on how to access the default browser’s permissions to change and allow your mic and camera to be used by Sessions.
In this case, a participant needs to manually give permissions to their browser for the microphone and camera.
Here is a series of detailed video instructions for different browsers and how to access these settings both via desktop and mobile devices (Android and iOS):
II. Mobile devices
2. Default Browser:
B. Continue without devices. Should you decide not to allow permissions, you will be able to hear and see the other participants. However, you will not be able to turn on your mic and camera. Therefore, the other participants will not hear or see you.
3. When you click “X” on the browser’s pop-up (without previously clicking Block), Sessions’ pop-up window will appear. Clicking “Request again,” in this case, will reopen the browser’s pop-up, which asks for your permissions. Click “Allow” so the other participants can hear and see you.
👀 Sessions pop-up window (audio-video defaults)
When first entering the session, after granting permissions (see above), you will be asked to set your preferences/defaults for the audio-video devices through a pop-up window. This applies only to users who have a Sessions account and not to guests.
Clicking “Confirm” on the pop-up allows your camera and/or microphone to function as expected whenever you enter an online gathering in Sessions. These will remain as default settings for all your future sessions.
You can always review your default settings by accessing My Profile → My settings → Camera/Mic defaults.
Note for Safari users:
- Please manually resume the playback of your streams or
- Check if the tab is not muted. If the tab is not muted, try using another mic or camera device.
- Refresh the page.
💻 Pre-join Screen
The pre-join screen is the last step you encounter before entering a live session. This screen appears when first entering the session but also when joining from different devices, tabs or refreshing the session.
Until a session starts, all participants are redirected to the
The modal offers the following:
- Video preview
- Audio-Video Setup
- Start Camera / Stop Camera
- Start Mic / Stop Mic
- Virtual background
Guests (users without a Sessions account) need to write down their names. Hosts and other registered users join the session with their profile names.
If a session hasn’t started, all users and participants are in the
⚙️ Settings modal
This modal makes it accessible for you to check audio-video performance, change device preferences or review general settings.
📲 Device preferences
These settings will be saved on this device for all future sessions.
- Mute/Unmute mic
- Start/Stop camera for the current session
- Default camera
- Hide your camera: Your participants will continue to see your video feed. You’ll hide the camera from yourself only.
- Mirror self-view: Invert your camera feed for a more familiar and natural feel.
- Default microphone
- Default speakers
- Noise reduction
- Blur and virtual backgrounds
- Participants will have access only to Device settings.
📝 General settings
- Session settings:
- Lock session: Participants will require your permission to join the session.
- Reactions: Allow participants to use reactions.
- Request guest email: Guests (users without a registered Sessions account) will be required to add their email addresses when joining the session.
- Allow participants to share their screen: If this setting is disabled, participants will not be able to share their screen.
- Disable participants' audio: Allow participants to use their microphone.